We have all done things that are wrong, and we have failed to obey God’s law. Because of this, we have been separated from God, our creator. Separation from God is death; but by ourselves, we can do nothing to become united with God.
How Jesus can help
Jesus was not only human, but He was also God’s unique son. Because Jesus never disobeyed God and never sinned, only He can bridge the gap between the sinless God and sinful people. (1)
Jesus freely offered His life for us (2), dying on the cross, taking all our wrongdoing upon Himself, and saving us from the consequences of sin – including God’s judgment and death. (1)
Jesus took our past, present, and future sin upon himself so that we can have a new life. (3) Because all our wrongdoing is forgiven, we are reconciled to God. Furthermore, Jesus’ resurrection from the dead is proof that His substitutionary sacrifice on the cross was acceptable to God (4), and His resurrection has become the source of a new life for those that believe that Jesus is the Son of God. All who believe in Him may have this new life and live it in union with Him (5).
- This is conditional as the gap is only bridged for those who seek and acknowledge Jesus as their Lord and Saviour and follow the commands laid out for us according to the New Testament.
- Jesus, although He took on the form of man, was still divine. He was called Immanuel (Matt 1:23) which translates to God with us. God the Father, God the Son (Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit where all part of creating the plan of Salvation and seeing it through. The fact that Jesus willingly gave up his life shows us that as a human he also encountered the temptations (Heb 2:18), and fears as we do, but the plan to save mankind through Him needed to happen (Matt 26:39; Mk 14:36; Lk 22:42)
- This is referring to the atonement for Sin through the historic timeline from Creation to the end of time, that Jesus has died once for all. His blood would also save those who have died before he was born, e.g., the righteous, Abraham, Noah, Daniel, etc. As individuals its not a once off get out of jail free card and then we continue in sin (Rom 6:1-2), while still may sin and still fall short of the Glory (Rom 3:23), there remains the hope of eternal life provided we repent.
- As with the point raised in number (2) the plan of salvation was created by God, hence the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus had to be carried through and Jesus had to go through that. He was the final lamb that was slain without blemish because He was without sin.
- Again, this is conditional that this is not only based just on belief, but on repenting, confession, being baptised through emersion in water, and leading a righteous life according to God’s word.